The Research and Development manager Additives reports to the Business Director with a dotted line to the Vice President Technology, and directly manages ADD’s research and application development team (2 FTE). Together with the ADD management team and in alignment with the strategic business objectives, the Research and Development Manager Additives will be expected to drive the technology and innovation strategy, determine appropriate development and applications technology programs and projects leading to value creation for the customer(s), and patent newly developed technology, where appropriate. He/she will foster an innovation culture and sense of urgency across the research and application development team.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the Harderwijk laboratory operates in full compliance with all safety regulations.
- Lead ADD’s research and application development team working closely with the ADD/research, technical service and sales teams to deliver innovative solutions to the strategic relevant markets served;
- Lead the programs on the development of new additives as well as process development for existing additives;
- Lead the transfer of new additives and process improvements for existing additives to the process development team of the production locations (in-house and third party);
- Manage the application development team to support the value proposition of (new) additives with application data in formulated solutions which are relevant for the strategic relevant target markets;
- Coordinate and draft accurate and timely progress reports;
- Manage a database containing all programs/projects and results;
- Ensure his/her team accurately records all experiments in laboratory notebooks to the standard required by the USPTO.
- Ensure that the tactical and strategic research and application development programs are prioritized and executed in alignment with the additives business strategy and meet the business case objectives;
- Own the Stage-Gate process for research and application development programs.
- Identify opportunities to protect technology and product developments through patent applications and trade secrets;
- Monitor and communicate on a regular basis to ADD/IGM technology and business leaders on patents and publications by competitors and downstream users.
- Closely cooperate with the global regulatory team to ensure, where appropriate, all global product compliance requirements such as chemical regulations (e.g. EU-REACH, TSCA) and indirect food contact are met.
- Represent ADD in the marketplace (ADD key customers and suppliers, and trade organizations) as a market driven provider of innovative solutions;
- Identify and propose strategic alliances with institutes (e.g. universities and research organizations), (co-)suppliers, customers and brand owners in alignment with ADD’s business objectives.
People Management and Culture
- In concert with the ADD/research and application development leaders, lead and inspire development of an innovative culture within ADD/IGM;
- Diligently seek and implement continuous improvement to our processes and systems. Implement best practice;
- Organization and staff development: define and implement an organization of strong and competent research and application development professionals to meet ADD’s strategic business objectives;
- Assist in developing and implementing reward and recognition approaches to stimulate Innovation.
- Is a future member of the ADD management team as the technology and innovation leader;
- Based upon a technology and product portfolio gap analysis assist the Business Director Additives and the Vice President Technology in the development of the long-term additives technology and innovation strategy;
- Develop, get approval for and manage the ADD research and application development operating plan and innovation budget;
- Identify and propose capital expenditure plans;
- Liaise with ADD/marketing and application and technical service leaders on strengthening the innovation pipeline and effectively linking new business opportunities with product and application development programs/projects.
- Signalizes constraints in procedures and suggest solutions;
- All other possible occurring tasks or responsibilities;
- Work in accordance with company rules and regulations;
- Perform other duties as requested.
a. Replaces by absence:
- The Research and Application Development team members for tasks that cannot be done by one of the other team members.
b. Is on moments of absence replaced by:
- The Research team member for days to day tasks that may not be postponed.
- The Business Director of Technical Director for strategic tasks that may not be postponed.
- With Business Director about own tasks, responsibilities and performance;
- With Business Director and Technical Director about (strategic) plans and progress;
- With Research and Application Development team members about his/her tasks, responsibilities and performance;
- With ADD/IGM research, technical service and sales teams about (new) product development and requirements;
- With Regulatory Affairs regarding Regulatory (REACH) and compliance.
- With customers, suppliers and trade organizations on trends and future requirements for product development purposes;
- With institutes (e.g. universities and research organizations), (co-)suppliers, customers and brand owners in alignment with ADD’s business objectives.
ADD Additives offers a very diverse and challenging role, in a highly dynamic and global organization. In addition to that we offer you an attractive salary and other employee benefits, as well as good career opportunities.